Tuesday 25 January 2011

Why do people blog?

I have spent the last few years of my life blissfully uninterested by the world of blogging and must confess that its something I ridiculed as an opportunity for opinionated people to have their own little rants. Blogs have become so popular now though that all kinds of people are at it, from high flying politicians down to students, such as myself.

The only reason I have started to dabble in the blogosphere is to appease my lectures at university as this, for the next ten weeks will form the base of my grade in Digital Communications. What I want to know though is why this strange digital phenomenon has become so popular across the world.


OK I can see that, in a similar way to Twitter, if you are a celebrity or an opinion leader in your particular field then people maybe interested in what you have to say on a particular topic. If however you are like me, a university student with very little to say of interest, why on earth would the people of the world care what I thought. Well have a watch of the video bellow.


Maybe Seth Godin has a point, if it can make you feel better about yourself then why not give it a go. I suppose that this can be a release for stress or emotions or to further your knowledge on a subject then that is no bad thing. In researching blogs I found some truly interesting stuff, a lot of rubbish but that goes without saying. Maybe then it doesn't matter if just your family or cat read your blog, its the writing process we benefit from and not the enjoyment of attention from others.

I appreciate this has been a little long and as a first entry is probably a little shaky but if I stick at it these entries may get better as we go along, who knows. I will say one thing though, this has certainly been a lot more enjoyable than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment